Homeless Students

The federal McKinney Vento Homeless Education Assistance Improvement Act and Texas State law (Texas Education Code Chapter 25) protect the right for homeless children and youth to receive a free and appropriate public education.

You can enroll in school if you live:
  • in a shelter (family shelter, domestic violence shelter, youth shelter, or transitional living program);in a motel, hotel, or weekly-rate housing;
  • in a house or an apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss;
  • in an abandoned building or a car, at a campground, or on the street;
  • in temporary foster care or with an adult who is not your parent or legal guardian;
  • in substandard housing (no electricity, no water, and/or no heat); or
  • with friends or family because you are a runaway or unaccompanied youth.
You may also:
  • continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled, even if you have moved away from that school’s attendance zone or district;
  • receive transportation from your current residence back to your school of origin;
  • qualify automatically for Child Nutrition Programs (Free and Reduced-Price Lunch and other district food programs);
  • participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible; and
  • contact the district liaison to resolve any disputes that arise during the enrollment process.

For additional information, please contact the school at 254-693-5342